Pages

Apr 16, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Films - Part 2

I'm terribly sorry for letting so much time pass since I published the last part! I'll try to be quicker in posting the next seven parts.
Oh, and by the way, I thought I would change the list of films to an ascending order, just to make things more exciting. I also added an "honorable mention" section at the end.
Enjoy! And don't forget to leave a comment, whether you agree or disagree with my selections!

Part 2: The 40s

5. It's a Wonderful Life (1946)
This film is one of my personal favorites, because I've been watching this perennial at Christmastime ever since I was little kid (I like to think I still am one). Though it's ultimately a feel-good story, it has always made me shed a small tear at parts. It's an incredibly warm, moving film that can be enjoyed again and again by the whole family! 
   
4. The Third Man (1949)
When I think "film noir", this is probably the first thing that comes to my mind. This film combines and redefines so many elements of the genre that make it so unique. Some of the little things I'm crazy about: the mysterious lighting, Vienna, the zither music, the ferris wheel ride, etc...

3. The Red Shoes (1948)
If you think there's no such thing as "trippy" films from the 40s, think again. Don't be turned off by the fact that this film centers on a ballerina, because there is much more to it than that. It's comparable to last year's Black Swan in that sense, but mainly for obvious plot-related reasons.

2. Rebecca (1940)
Most Hitchcock fans seem to view this film as his only film to ever win Best Picture when many of his other films were more deserving of that title. But I'm inclined to disagree. I'm not saying that this one is his best, but it's definitely one of his most powerful expressions of his artistic talents as a director. There's something strangely haunting about Rebecca that sets it apart from every other Hitchcock mystery thriller.

...

And now for number one...

...

1. Brief Encounter (1945)
Forgive me for choosing this over Casablanca and other classic love stories, but I'm significantly more attached to this very one. David Lean makes this film much more than a heartfelt tale of infidelity. He has crafted a sentimental peek into the human psyche, using both style and substance to draw us to the central characters. Brief Encounter may be the most obscure film on the list, but in my opinion, it's also the most memorable.

...

Honorable Mention
The Best Years of Our Lives
Casablanca
Notorious
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Double Indemnity
Citizen Kane
The Maltese Falcon
Laura
Beauty and the Beast
The Philadelphia Story

...

Check out Part 3: The 50s!