Pages

Apr 23, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Films - Part 3

Before reading, I'll have you know that I had an especially hard time picking my five favorite films from this particular decade. So please take in note each and every great film I listed in the honorable mention section below (the list goes on and on!).
As always, don't forget to rate this post and leave a comment below, whether you agree or disagree with my selections!



Part 3: The 50s

5. Witness for the Prosecution (1957)
Billy Wilder practically dominated the 50s in terms of cinematic masterpieces. And out of all his wonderful films-- though I hate to break it to you early-- I would have to say that this one is my favorite. It's a very suspenseful piece of courtroom drama with excellent acting and more twists and turns than you could ever imagine! This can be explained by the fact that it's based on a short story written by my favorite author and the "Queen of Mystery" herself, Agatha Christie!


   
4. The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Strangely enough, Charles Laughton, one of the stars in the precedent film, is the man who made this one his directorial debut. And it's an awful shame that this remains the only film he ever directed. It's absolutely perfect in my eyes, blending film noir qualities with beautiful cinematography, an eerie atmosphere, and top-notch performances-- all served with a side of religious fanaticism. It's a masterpiece of a thriller!    



3. Roman Holiday (1953)
From the get-go, I had no idea that this would soon become one of my favorite films. I ask myself why I love this movie so much, and I often feel there's no way of explaining it. Watching Roman Holiday, I feel as though I'm joining these two strangers on their little escapade. Audrey Hepburn is irresistible in this wonderful picture.



2. The 400 Blows (1959)
As one of the definitive films of the French New Wave movement, The 400 Blows (Les Quatre Cents Coups) is an unconventional coming-of-age story that packs a big emotional punch. I'm sure I'm not alone in seeing a bit of myself in the main character, nor in attaching a very high personal value to his experiences as a youth. Along with the realistic performances, I'm in love with this film's outdoor cinematography and beautiful music. 



...


And now for number one...


...



1. Vertigo (1958)
In my opinion, this is Alfred Hitckcock's finest achievement as a director, and I would have to say that it's also my favorite film of his. I see it as his most mysterious, suspenseful, thrilling, romantic, superstitious, ingenious, and beautiful masterpiece. In this Hitchcock thriller, James Stewart delivers another masterful performance, while Bernard Herrmann gives us another exquisitely haunting score. Once Vertigo gets into your head, there's no way of getting it out. It stays with you forever. 


...


Honorable Mention
Singin' in the Rain
Sunset Blvd.
East of Eden
The Killing
Some Like It Hot
Sweet Smell of Success
The Seventh Seal
All About Eve
Rebel Without a Cause
Paths of Glory
North by Northwest
12 Angry Men
Seven Samurai
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Strangers on a Train
Touch of Evil
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
A Streetcar Named Desire
Rear Window
Sabrina


...


Check out Part 4: The 60s!