Pages

Apr 2, 2011

These Are a Few of My Favorite Films - Part 1

Since quite a bit of time has passed since my last real blog post, I thought I would do something monumental. So I thought about going through every past decade (starting with the 30s) and listing some of the films that, in my opinion, stick out as true masterpieces (five films per decade). You may or may not agree with my choices, but either way, I would love to hear what your thoughts are! 
Please stay tuned for the next seven parts of this feature!

Part 1: The 30s

1. Gone with the Wind (1939)
Gone With the Wind was a groundbreaking achievement in cinema that defined the classic American epic and established standards for films to come. I find this film impossible to resist. Vivien Leigh and Clark Gable shine as Scarlett and Rhett, who undeniably make one of the greatest screen couples of all time.

   
2. The Wizard of Oz (1939)
The Wizard of Oz is a wonderful film, for children and adults alike. I remember being introduced to this classic at a very young age, and ever since, I've seen it countless times, and it hasn't ceased to amaze me! It's another masterpiece from director Victor Fleming.

3. M (1931)
From the visionary German writer/director Fritz Lang (Metropolis), M is an absolutely gripping and shocking thriller about the manhunt for a psychotic child-murderer roaming the city streets. Peter Lorre's performance is chilling, especially when he is delivering his monologue at the end.

4. Modern Times (1936)
To be honest, this is the only Charlie Chaplin film I've seen to date (I'm embarrassed to say), and I'm already blown away by the amount of talent the man visibly has! For me, Modern Times is about facing and learning to adapt to change-- no matter how challenging it may be-- and never letting go of hope. This was the perfect film for those struggling to make it through the Great Depression!

5. It Happened One Night (1934)
It Happened One Night is the hilarious and heartfelt tale that made Frank Capra one of the best-known directors of his time. Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert are magnificent in this classic romantic comedy! I especially love how there are so many risqué jokes and wisecracks in the movie.

Check out Part 2: The 40s!